MISSON TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. One part of the solution is to design, develop, and deploy cleanup systems to stop plastic from reaching our oceans by intercepting it in rivers. As the Project Manager – River Deployments you will be responsible for managing the deployments of our Interceptor systems in 2022. In a multi-disciplinary team, you will pick up the projects where they currently stand and continue working towards the installation and operation of the systems. At the end of the period, you can look back on a series of successful deployments and loads of plastic extracted from rivers. project manager river deployments at the ocean cleanup
“The best part of working at The Ocean Cleanup is that you’re continuously making an impact as you work towards a better world. Everything you do, whether it’s an exciting meeting with a new partner or just updating the planning, is focused on one goal: cleaner oceans!” – Ewout Eelkman Rooda, River Director
The Rivers team is preparing for Interceptor deployments in 2022. We are looking for a project manager to improve our deployment processes, coordinate the progress of the team (including business development, operations, and research/monitoring), coordinate with external partners, and complete these projects on time and within budget. The role will be until the end of 2022, with the possibility of becoming a permanent role.
Your responsibilities include:
- Leading a fixed set of deployment projects, to be finished within two years
- Coordinating a cross-functional team
- Managing external partners
- Improving internal processes and project management structures
- Project management groundwork: planning development, managing budgets, document control, etc.
- Master’s degree with added training in project management
- Academic-level thinking and communication skills
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in project management, preferably in a relevant field for the position (for example, in engineering, construction, shipbuilding, governmental affairs, environmental affairs, working abroad in Asia/Latin-America)
- Proven track record in creating/managing planning and budget control
- Relevant experience in working with external partners and managing contracts
- Fluent in English, knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese, or an Asian language is a plus
- Experience working on different projects at the same time and used to picking up projects ‘as is’ rather than only from scratch
- You get energy from seeing tasks and projects through to completion, as opposed to starting up something new
- You like improving processes and are meticulous, detail-oriented, and structured
- You diplomatic, who likes to work with a team and coach them to do their best work
- You realize that a certain amount of groundwork (document control, chasing people for planning updates, administrative task, etc.) is part of the job and project success
- You have excellent communication skills
- You are able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- And above all: an intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission
Curious to hear how it is to work at The Ocean Cleanup in the river team? Listen to our team members explain their work in our podcast. Available on Spotify and all other podcast platforms.
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations, rather than that of a commercial entity.
WORK PERMIT NEEDED: European Union
Project Manager River Deployments at the ocean cleanup