Working at Lightyear is a unique experience. You get the opportunity to work for a company with a pure and meaningful mission. A mission that will make a positive and lasting impact on future generations.
Lightyear is an innovative and progressive scale-up with one mission: clean mobility for everyone, everywhere. Lightyear originates from the legacy as a multiple world championship of the Bridgestone World Solar Challenge® Cruiser Class. Officially established in 2016 by 5 visionaries with the dream to make this groundbreaking technology accessible to everyone, everywhere. In order to accelerate the transition towards a truly sustainable solution for mobility, we believe that it is necessary to completely rethink automotive design by starting from scratch, not limited by industry conventions.
Are you at the beginning of your career and are you eager to work on cutting-edge Power Electronics Technology ready to be integrated into a highly efficient system? Are you a team player and do you get energized by high-over architecture, design as well as testing and verifying your design and iterating upon this?
Location: The Automotive Campus in Helmond, part of Brainport: the heart of Europe’s innovation
Domain: Power Electronics
Experience: 0-5 years
Degree: Master’s degree or PhD
What will you do as a Power Electronics Engineer?
At Lightyear we have several domains which are basically teams within a particular field of expertise. While being part of the Power Electronics domain you’ll be allocated to particular (sub-)systems of our current and future projects.
As a Power Electronics engineer you’ll be working on several multidisciplinary (sub-)systems in order to design & integrate cutting-edge Power Electronics components. For instance, you could work on an air cooled 40kW SiC motor inverter to drive the in-wheel motors (which we build from scratch!) or you’ll conceptually work on modeling resonant power converters for MPPT’s.
Within this scope, you will be involved in the whole design process. Starting off with research on the right topology and ending up with full integration into Lightyear One. Obviously, you’ll be part of all the steps in between, such as deciding on architecture, design of the electronics, setting up the technical product documentation and working on prototypes by executing tests in our Electronics Lab (where we have our own motor-test-bench set-up). A lot of tests and verification processes can be done in-house.
All and all, as a Power Electronics Engineer at Lightyear you’re able to truly work on cutting-edge Power Electronics components as part of a complex and efficient system. Within that context, you’ll do whatever it takes.
What do we expect from a Power Electronics Engineer at Lightyear?
In order to succeed in the dynamic world of Lightyear pro-activity, professionalism, communication and adaptability are crucial. In addition, we are looking for people with an ambitious attitude who learn from the past (tried and tested) and who strive to set new standards when needed. Therefore, you bring along:
- A Master’s degree or PhD in Electrical Engineering or related
- 0-5 years of experience in the field of Power Electronics within a high-tech environment
- Experience and capable in evaluating and deciding on a power converter topology, choose or design the required components and create a schematic overview
- You have a strong desire to work with Simulink/Matlab/PLECS and SPICE with a healthy dose of faith in your simulation models
- You consider yourself a self-starter, a strong communicator and you’re willing to work in a highly passionate inter-cultural environment
- Skilled in working with schematic tools (e.g. Altium, Orcad, Eagle), experience in PCB layout is a plus
- Fluent in English
On a personal level, you are someone who is accurate, influential, communicative, logical, perfectionistic, positive and systematic.
What can you expect from Lightyear? in addition to a challenging role we also offer:
- A high degree of freedom and independence in your role
- A role within a multidisciplinary team consisting of highly motivated, inquisitive and talented people with a broad diversity of experience
- A role at one of the fastest growing technical companies in the Netherlands with tremendous potential
- 40 vacation days per year
- An interesting and balanced pension through Zwitserleven that is in line with the mission of Lightyear
- The ability to participate via shares and to be involved in the growth and success of Lightyear
- In addition to a dynamic working environment, there is time for relaxation during our already epic Friday afternoon drinks
At Lightyear, we all strive for the same goal. We have a team with diverse skill sets and backgrounds; all working tirelessly towards clean mobility for everyone, everywhere. We’re proud of our culture and live up to our core values: think independently, be bold, deliver the change, put people first and take responsibility. Our shared vision is what unites and drives us.
Want to join?
power electronics engineer