Lightyear is an innovative and progressive scale-up with one mission: clean mobility for everyone, everywhere. Lead software architect at lightyear
Working at Lightyear is a unique experience. You get the opportunity to work for a company with a pure and meaningful mission. A mission that will make a positive and lasting impact on future generations. VP Marketing at Lightyear
Lightyear is an innovative and progressive scale-up with one mission: clean mobility for everyone, everywhere. Lightyear originates from the legacy as a multiple world championship of the Bridgestone World Solar Challenge® Cruiser Class. Officially established in 2016 by 5 visionaries with the dream to make this groundbreaking technology accessible to everyone, everywhere. In order to accelerate the transition towards a truly sustainable solution for mobility, we believe that it is necessary to completely rethink automotive design by starting from scratch, not limited by industry conventions.
Do you like to step into your helicopter and enjoy the excellent view in order to make the right decisions?
Do you have experience in guiding software teams in a complex, fast paced environment?
Do you want to change the future of mobility?
Location: The Automotive Campus in Helmond, part of Brainport: the heart of Europe’s innovation
Experience: 7-10+ years in a similar role
Degree: MSc (or PhD) in computer science, Electrical Engineering, Data Science, Machine Learning, Mobile/App Development or any other relevant field
What will you do as our Lead Software Architect?
We are looking for an ambitious and self-driven Software Architect to join our team!
As software architect you are responsible for making design choices, coordinate and oversee technical standards, including software coding standards, tools, and platforms. You will collaborate on the system architecture of the car, together with the vehicle designers and electrical and mechanical architects and all relevant stakeholders.
As an architect you will be involved in the decision making process; for example the design of the interfaces between the embedded controllers, the infotainment system and the communication with the backend. You will have a helicopter view of the software domain.
Your job will consist of but is not limited to:
- The software architecture of the car, generating architectural overviews of the software system, including all the relevant modules
- Managing the system requirements within the software/ cyber security domain
- Designing and keeping the overview of the software that connects embedded, infotainment and backend to each other and integrates off-the-shelf parts
- Selection of toolchains and platforms
- Aligning with other systems and prioritizing the software system development
- Control system level interfaces to the other systems
- Being the main point of contact for partners/ suppliers on technical level
- Together with our PMO alignment of budget & planning to make sure all milestones are reached in time and within budget
A day as Lead Software Architect at Lightyear
Let’s start by saying Lightyear is very flexible in terms of your working hours, we offer near-full remote working with any office equipment we need to work ergonomically (and a work-at-home budget to upgrade your internet). If needed, or desired, you can spend your working time at our modern office at the Automotive Campus close to Helmond (travel allowance included). Here you can enjoy a good cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate, fresh fruit and experience the buzz of the office and the labs/workshops.
You choose to come to the office today: stand-up with the design team (vehicle architect, domain experts), and/or with the system architects at system level. You will have regular one-on-one meetings with software engineers/architects to align software development efforts, prioritise the implementation of certain functionality and to resolve architecture and integration issues. You align with different stakeholders within the organisation. You will be working on regular activities like reporting, actual tasks within the sprints (2 weeks), lunch/ walk, weekly meeting with software engineers of the software domain to discuss upcoming topics and align the way of working amongst different systems, recurring meetings or projects/ tasks, and the Friday afternoon week closure events.
You spot improvement opportunities in our infrastructure and align with IT/DevOps engineers on implementing them. Involved in software design reviews of the systems.
What do we expect from our Lead Software Architect at Lightyear?
In order to succeed in the dynamic world of Lightyear pro-activity, professionalism, communication and adaptability are crucial. We are looking for people with an ambitious attitude who learn from the past (tried and tested) and who strive to set new standards when needed. You can work within the team or independently and you plan your budget and time well. You are flexible and can work under pressure. Furthermore we are looking for someone with:
A Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or similar (a combination with Mechanical Engineering and/or Electrical Engineering is seen as a tremendous plus)
- Minimum of 7+ years of relevant working experience in a similar role.
- Experience in the field of embedded systems
- Experience in the field of systems engineering within a hightech environment
- Experience in the field of connectivity/IoT
- Experience in safety-critical product development
- Experience with the interaction between electrical/ mechanical and software systems
- A proven track record in complex software projects
- Excellent capabilities to have a helicopter view and to make decisions even when all information is not available
- Fluent in English is mandatory, Dutch proficiency is a plus
- Availability for 40 hours a week
On a personal level you can relate to the following characteristics:
You are comfortable and energised by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skill-sets. You welcome and are able to provide constructive feedback and like to view a challenge from different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates and help them reach these goals.
You thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change. Ability to make decisions, and effectively lead tasks and meet challenging deadlines with general requirements and wide responsibility.
What can you expect from Lightyear? in addition to a challenging role we also offer:
- A high degree of freedom and independence in your role
- A role within a multidisciplinary team consisting of highly motivated, inquisitive and talented people with a broad diversity of experience
- A role at one of the fastest growing technical companies in the Netherlands with tremendous potential
- 40 vacation days per year
- An interesting and balanced pension through Zwitserleven that is in line with the mission of Lightyear
- The ability to participate via shares and to be involved in the growth and success of Lightyear
- In addition to a dynamic working environment, there is time for relaxation during our already epic Friday afternoon drinks
Want to join?
power electronics engineer