Join us on our mission
You are the person to inspire and educate the team by leading by example. You will implement a rational, fact-based, common goals, way of working to deliver better than expected system performance. By doing this, you enable the company to provide an inspiring and revolutionary product.
Lightyear is an innovative and progressive scale-up with one mission: clean mobility for everyone, everywhere.
Lightyear originates from the legacy as a multiple world championship of the Bridgestone World Solar Challenge® Cruiser Class. Officially established in 2016 by 5 visionaries with the dream to make this groundbreaking technology accessible to everyone, everywhere. In order to accelerate the transition towards a truly sustainable solution for mobility, we believe that it is necessary to completely rethink automotive design by starting from scratch, not limited by industry conventions.
What will you do as Vehicle Architect at Lightyear?
In the morning you have a stand-up with your vehicle team, where you align that your systems engineer will deliver the first draft of the hill climb use cases today so you can align them with product management tomorrow. Your next meeting is with the macro-system architects to align on how to translate the homologation requirements into sub-system requirements for the powertrain. Then, there is brainstorm with the body in white team, because it needs to become 25% lighter than the current design. You suggest a radical idea to change the production method, and the team divides the tasks to analyze the new concept in more detail. You quickly write a note to check with the IP department if your idea is patentable. You have a lunch meeting with the VP Engineering to discuss the quality of the team and how potential safety issues should be allocated.
After lunch, a review with the functional safety team is planned to go over the item definition. Next is some time to work on the logical architecture diagrams in Jama, however you get interrupted by the validation team that needs to know today what you want to test with the next mule vehicle because they need to book the test facilities. On your drive home, you start wondering how you’re ever going to save another 10% of energy consumption from the car without increasing the bill of materials….
No day will be the same and your knowledge and experience will propel our mission forward. In your job you are responsible for:
- the successful delivery of the vehicle
- managing product definitions/product requirements
- managing the design of the functional and logical vehicle architecture
- making high-level trade-offs in the design
- managing the definition of test & validation plans
- coordinating sprints with Project Manager(s)
- interphase and integration management
- working with the Systems Engineering domain and VP Engineering for continuous improvement of the way of working.
What do we expect from a Vehicle Architect?
In order to succeed in the dynamic world of Lightyear; pro-activity, professionalism, communication and adaptability are crucial. We are looking for people with an ambitious attitude, who learn from the past (tried and tested) and who strive to set new standards when needed. For this role you have experience in both development and production environments. Furthermore, we are looking for someone with:
- a Master degree in Systems Engineering, Software and/ or Electrical Engineering or equivalent supplemented with INCOSE certification
- a minimum of 10 years of technical and leadership experience with demonstrated expertise in systems integration and the ability to resolve complex technical issues/challenges
- experience in a position responsible for making high-stakes decisions
- experience in leading diverse teams in the design, development, production and evolution of high tech products
- strong complex analysis experience with a proven track record as a conceptual thinker with the ability to translate this into action and results
- great understanding of Systems Engineering and Systems Thinking
- experience in developing highly complex systems, preferably vehicles, from the cradle to the grave
- extensive experience in requirements management (e.g. Jama)
- excellent communication (written and verbal) and social skills. Complemented with presenting skills to executive leadership and external customers
- the ability to build consensus among peers while building solid relationships with team members, leadership and customers. With a demonstrated ability to develop, mentor and coach technical talent (system architects and engineers)
- a deep understanding of software development, sophisticated hardware and integration
- knowledge of 3D CAD software (Catia preferably) and a good understanding of possibilities in modeling / simulation (Matlab / Simulink)
- Familiar with working wit the Agile-Scrum methodology
- Basic Programming skills for automating workflows
If you have experience and/or knowledge in one or more of the points below, we see this as a tremendous plus for the role of Vehicle Architect:
- experience in Electric Powertrains
- knowledge on In-vehicle networks
- working knowledge on EMC
- knowledge of ISO 26262, UNECE R10 & R100
- Crash safety (e.g. EUNCAP)
- being part (now or in the recent past) of the top 5 technical teams leading an Electric Vehicle development
- experience on homologations and legislations of vehicles worldwide
- safety requirements on vehicle level
- domain knowledge in automotive development, in either high or low volume production
- Autonomous technology knowledge/development experience or with strong network in this domain/software, electronics and software background
On a personal level you can relate to the following characteristics; You’re able to influence and inspire people. You bring along excellent communication skills and a pragmatic approach. The phrase “not possible” can’t be found in your vocabulary. You’re able to deal with resistance, a true listener and you’re able to persuade people in achieving our mission.
What can you expect from Lightyear?
In addition to a challenging role we also offer:
- A high degree of freedom and independence in your role
- A role within a multidisciplinary team consisting of highly motivated, inquisitive and talented people with a broad diversity of experience
- A role at one of the fastest growing technical companies in the Netherlands with tremendous potential
- 40 vacation days per year
- An interesting and balanced pension through Zwitserleven that is in line with the mission of Lightyear
- The ability to participate via shares and to be involved in the growth and success of Lightyear
- In addition to a dynamic working environment, there is time for relaxation during our already epic Friday afternoon drinks
At Lightyear, we all strive for the same goal. We have a team with diverse skill sets and backgrounds; all working tirelessly towards clean mobility for everyone, everywhere. We’re proud of our culture and live up to our core values: think independently, be bold, deliver the change, put people first and take responsibility. Our shared vision is what unites and drives us.
Want to join?
To apply for this job please visit careers.lightyear.one.